Saturday, September 15, 2012

Cashew Chicken-Crock Pot Style!

When I was a kid my grandmother would take me to eat at The China Palace.
An authentic Chinese restaurant in the heart of factory-ville in our town.
Real tea served in real tiny Asian teacups.
I ALWAYS ordered the Cashew Chicken.
I found this on Pinterest and made it on Wednesday.
So easy and so delish.
I'm not really a crock pot kind of person, but have started trying out new things (chicken only) and this is one we really liked.
I adapted it slightly.
Even the kids liked it! That's saying something!

Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken:
sixsistersstuff.com

2 lbs boneless chicken thighs or breast tenders (I used the thighs and it was awesome!)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp canola or olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (won't add too much heat, but will add flavor!)
1/2 cup cashews, roughly choped
5 oz broccoli florets (fresh or frozen...I used fresh becasue most frozen packages are full of stems and I like the tops). Roughly chop these as well.
White Rice


Combine flour and pepper in large Ziploc bag. Add chicken and shake to coat. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken about 2 minutes per side. Place into crock pot.


Combine soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes in small bowl, whisk to combine.
Pour this mixture over the chicken.
See, I told you it's easy!


Cook on LOW for 3-4 hours.
When there's 45 mintues left on the clock, add the broccoli.
Stir well.
When there's 30 minutes left on the clock, add the cashews.
At this point the chicken will be falling apart.
Just tear it up while in the crockpot with some tongs and a fork and give everything another stir.



Cook up a batch of white rice (I use the fancy 5 minute rice!).
If you want more sauce to pour over the final product, by all means double the sauce recipe.

Not quite as good as The China Palace, but since that place no longer exists I find that this will do.
Enjoy!
Xiangshou!

No comments:

Post a Comment